Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Start of Things

When I set my goals for this year, I split them into three sections (Financial, Physical, Emotional). The goals within each section followed the SMART[er] principle: Specific, Measurable, Applicable, Realistic, Timely [&evaluate&reevaluate]. Too many years on Student Council, I guess.

Most of this month has been devoted to my emotional goals. This year, I want to focus on my connections with people, because I sometimes close myself off. Another emotional goal is to spend time finding&doing things that make me happy, and to rediscover the feeling I had when I was younger that anything is possible.

Ideally, I'll work on updating in more manageable chunks, since two weeks at a time is kind of a lot for you dear readers, but alas, for now, here's how I've been working on my emotional health. My happiness health. :)

1.7 Discovered SkyGuide//Found a Way to Reach for the Stars Wherever I Am

1.8 Watched a TEDTalk by a Nine-Year-Old//Was Inspired to Focus on Happiness as Work


1.9 Date at The Cruise Room//Became Giggly&Giddy Mess Around Cute Boy

1.10 Extended the Date//Tried to Spot the Aurora Borealis From Way Above Denver

1.11 Girls' Weekend Cabin Getaway//Resetting with Quiet Air and Great Friends

1.12 Bonded with Horses!//New Goal: Horseback-Riding Lessons

1.13 Knocked Out with a Fever//Finished the Crossword for the First Time Ever

1.14 Still Sick//Finding Emotional Inspiration in Unexpected Places


1.15 Stayed in Bed to Work on Birthday Party Invitations//My Fever-Delerium Inspired Surprise Mini-Dinosaurs that Represent My Inner Child


1.16 Finishing Touches//Embracing My Silly


1.17 Sent Out My Dinosaur Army//Hope I Make the USPS Wonder&lol


1.18 Ski Weekend At Steamboat with Cute Boy//Felt Like a Fairy Wonderland


1.19 Ran Into My Incredible Friend Kate&Her Family//Realized I Know Amazing People


1.20 Came Home to This Guy//Cat Naps All Day

1.21 Dad's Birthday//This Picture Makes Me Wish it Were Summer

We're three weeks into the new year already; a realization that I find both invigorating and terrifying. Looking at this post, I realized that picking one picture to represent each day makes it look like I've been a busy&adventuring human being, rather than the bump-on-a-log like I've rather felt lately. So I suppose this blog is helping me with my other emotional goals this year: Be kind [to myself and everyone else] & be grateful [for everything].

Looking back on these three weeks in this format, 2014 has been an incredible year already. I found inspiration on how to learn&create happiness&love&wonder, I got to spend time with so many of my favorite people, I started&finished two creative projects, I was kind enough to myself to slow down&heal when I needed it, I created a back-up plan (Ski Bum) if I don't get into an amazing graduate program, and I spent a weekend away with a boy&realized how much I would like to keep spending time with him.

I'm amazed by all of these things. I'm grateful for all of these things.

I can't pretend that these last three weeks have been perfect. I've been struggling with insecurities and questions about what to do with my life//what I am doing with my life. But with proof like ^^^this, I firmly believe I can create happiness with 1. Gratitude, 2. Respecting&Accepting that Happiness Can Coexist with Sadness, and 3. Sheer Determination.

Because I know y'all have been on the edge of your seats wondering about it, the title of this blog, "There's No Gelato in the Shade," is an exact quote from a hot day when I lived in Italy. A dear friend of mine was using gelato to persuade me that I had to leave the shade of the building where I was deliciously pressing my sweating forehead against the cool sandstone wall. The quote has since become more than that. First, it's motivation to leave my comfort zone to get those things I really want. But it also holds the reminder that sometimes the gentle kindness of the shade is the gelato. (Whoah. Deep.)

Regardless, I got my gelato that day, and I'm going to continue to get my gelato (and eat it too), for the rest of my life.

Who's with me?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment