Monday, January 27, 2014

Finding Wrong.

I have driven the distance between Boulder and Colorado Springs an inestimable number of times. It seems an endless trip that started when I drove myself to visit my brother, continued through the years of my own undergrad, and now I drive from here to there because Boulder is where That Boy lives.

(Actually, let's call him M, because I've never been able to figure out at what age I'm supposed to start calling a boy a man. Or when I go from girl to woman. Those sound so serious. Any opinions on this topic would be much appreciated.)

The distance is longer, but I usually opt to drive Highway 93 and Santa Fe, because I can breathe into open spaces instead of car exhaust. And the foothills fill the route with moments of unexpected beauty that appear to me, just for me, because I look for them.

This morning, the light in the sky was a buttermilk sun. Clouds sighed onto the landscape. I turned off the highway onto a road I've never taken. I stopped my car and stepped out to watch a world that was covered in fog like opening your eyes underwater. A falcon landed on a pole above me. He ruffled his feathers. I blinked snowflakes off my eyelashes.

Joseph Chilton Pearce, an author of books on child development, says, "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

To me, creative and happy are intertwined. My head tells me it is wrong to be unemployed, focusing on my success in happiness and health. But maybe that's okay. Maybe wrong is something we need to strive for. 

I want to be wrong by detouring on my drives and in my life. I want to keep taking too long to get where I'm supposed to be. I want to keep taking turns just because I've never taken them before. I want to be wrong by living my life slowly in a world that moves too fast. I think I move slower than most people. I breathe slower, I'm often late, and it took me too long to say goodbye this morning when M needed to go to work. I closed my eyes to imprint the feeling of his lips on mine.


I'm trying to soak this entire world into my memories. From those memories, I want to create beauty in this life, a life that drives others to distraction. I want people to find wrong with me.

My Wrong This Week:

1.22 Finally Back to Yoga//Someone Said I Look Like An Archer With My Mat.
1.23 Caught Up With Old Friends//My Cat Was Less Enthused Than I

1.24 Breckenridge with SweetBananie//Lucky For Another Mountain Getaway.

1.25 Glühwein//We Never Got Out of Our PJs

1.26 Skied the new bowl on Peak 6//OMG That's M :)
1.27 Keeping My Eyes Open//On Average, The Horizon is Only 3 Miles Away

No comments:

Post a Comment