Sunday, May 12, 2013

2. A Love Poem

(You will soon see that I am an Incurable Romantic.)

XLIV: You must know that I do not love and that I love you
Pablo Neruda

You must know that I do not love and that I love you,
because everything alive has its two sides;
a word is one wing of the silence,
fire has its cold half.

I love you in order to begin to love you,
to start infinity again
and never to stop loving you:
that's why I do not love you yet.

I love you, and I do not love you, as if I held
keys in my hand: to a future of joy--
a wretched, muddled fate--

My love has two lives, in order to love you:
that's why I love you when I do not love you
and also why I love you when I do.


This is me in my wedding dress that I didn't get a chance to wear (that story comes later).
And that is my love, The Little Bump Cat.


"to start infinity again//and never to stop loving you://that's why I do not love you yet."
I used to think I have been in love, but I grow evermore uncertain as to what that means.
I'm unsatisfied with the way I've loved in the past.
And next time I say "I love you, I want it to be for infinity.
Until then, I am busy studying up on love poems to find out what love might mean.
Until then, I'm going to be satisfied with just loving me&the things that I love.

(And I do love my gelato).

No comments:

Post a Comment